In our crazy busy lives there’s always something intensely satisfying when you create a cake and share it with family and friends.
All time classic
• 500ml flour
• 15ml baking powder
• 3ml bicarbonate of soda
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 125g butter, melted and cooled • 1 tin condensed milk
• 100ml milk
• 50ml passionfruit liquid (no pips) • 5ml vanilla essence
• 90g butter, softened
• 750ml icing sugar
• 170g passionfruit pulp, drained, liquid reserved
• Heat oven to 180°C
• Sift together flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt.
• Combine remaining ingredients and beat until smooth.
• Pour into two greased and lined round cake tins.
• Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. • Remove from oven and allow to cool before turning out onto a wire cooling rack.
• Cream softened butter and add icing sugar gradually. Beat until smooth.
• Add enough passionfruit pulp to make a smooth, spreadable paste. Add a small amount of liquid, if required.
• Sandwich cakes together with icing, then ice the top and sides.
Ferrero Rocher Cake
Raw and Vegan
• 1 cup sunflower seeds
• 1 cup desiccated coconut
• 1/4 cup cacao powder
• 1 pinch Himalayan salt
• 2 Tbsp melted coconut oil
• 1/4 cup soaked dates (pre-soaked for 1/2 hour, then drained) • 1/2 cup hazelnuts
• 2 cups cashews (soaked overnight, then rinsed and drained) • 2 cups soaked dates (pre-soaked for 1/2 hour, then drained) • 1 cup coconut cream
• 1/2 cup coconut oil
• 3/5 cup water
• 1/2 cup cacao powder • 1 tsp vanilla bean
• 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt • 1/4 cup hazelnuts
• Add all base ingredients, except the hazelnuts and dates, to a food processor. Blend until a fine consistency.
• Drain the dates and add to the mix. Blend until it has a sticky consistency.
• Line a cake tin with baking paper and press the base mix into the tin. Sprinkle whole hazelnuts over the base.
• Drain the cashews and dates and add the remaining mousse ingredients, except the hazelnuts, to the blender. Blend until you have a smooth and creamy consistency. Pour over the base.
• Chop hazelnuts and sprinkle over your cake.
• Set the cake in the freezer for 12 hours. Once frozen, remove from cake tin. Allow to defrost before eating.
Real Rad Food
Real Rad Food specialises in fully raw, vegan, refined sugar-free, dairy-free and gluten-free sweet treats and custom made celebration cakes. Founded by 22 year old Mount local, Hannah Mellsop, whose passion lies in creating plant-based foods that not only look and taste amazing, but are amazing for your health as well.
• 1kg round of Kapiti Kikorangi Blue
• 1kg round of Over the Moon Dairy Goat Camembert
• 1kg round of Over the Moon Dairy OMG Triple Cream Brie • BeeNZ Honey Comb
• 2 tsp BeeNZ Premium Manuka Honey (heated)
• Foliage and flowers
• Layer the cheese rounds to create a three-tiered cake.
• Layer honeycomb on the layer of blue cheese and scatter walnuts and blueberries on top.
• Warm the honey and drizzle over the layers to create a drip like effect.
• Arrange flowers and foliage to your liking. Be as creative with the decoration as you like!
• Finish off with a bunch of red grapes.
The Honest Platter
The Honest Platter was created from Hollie Procter’s passion for beautiful and delicious food. She is a firm believer in engaging and connecting with your food in an honest and appetising way. The Honest Platter specialises in grazing tables for weddings and events throughout the Bay of Plenty.