We’re in for a long hot summer here in the Bay and, whilst we are spoilt for choice with cafés and stores serving ice cream, there’s nothing like making your own, especially when they’re healthy.
Avocado and coconut ice cream
• 2 large ripe avocados
• 425g can full fat coconut milk • 1 tsp lemon zest
• 3 Tbsp lemon juice
• 3⁄4 cup sugar
• 4-5 mint leaves
• pinch of salt
• Purée all ingredients in a blender until smooth.
• Place the mixture into a freezer-safe container and freeze until it has a firm consistency (approximately two hours).
• If you require a firmer texture, leave in the freezer for longer
Fro Yo Ice Pops
• 1 cup unsweetened natural or coconut yoghurt • 1 ripe banana
• 1 tsp vanilla extract or paste
• 3⁄4 cup milk or dairy-free substitute
• 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
• Blend all ingredients together in a food processor until all the blueberries are mashed up.
• Pour mixture into ice block moulds then freeze for approxi- mately 30 minutes before inserting ice cream sticks.
• Continue to freeze for at least 8 hours, until completely solid.
About the author: Ian Wright is the co-owner and brains behind Yo and Co (an innovative and independent ice cream and yoghurt space) and POLAR Dessert Bar (purveyors of cold plate ice cream, gelato and hot donuts) in Mount Maunganui.