Evidently, it can take up to 15 tastes before a child will accept a new flavour. Double that number when it comes to veggies! Get your picky little ones to start eating healthily with these brilliantly attractive dishes that are also so easy to cook!
By Mila Arena, V on Wheels
Beetroot and coconut soup
- 500g beetroot, scrubbed
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 leeks, finely sliced
- 30g fresh root ginger, cut into matchsticks
- 1 litre fresh vegetable stock
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cups coconut cream
- Small handful dill leaves or toasted pumpkin seeds
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Top and tail the beetroot and cut into bite-sized chunks. Toss with 1 Tbsp oil, season, and roast for 30 minutes, tossing halfway.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Sauté the leeks and ginger for 10-15 minutes, until softened and starting to caramelise. Stir in the cooked beetroot, then the stock and bring to the boil. Season, simmer for 5 minutes, then take off the heat and leave to cool for 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a blender and add the lemon juice and coconut cream (leave a few tablespoons of the coconut cream to add at the end). Whizz (in batches, if necessary) until smooth, adding more seasoning and lemon juice as required, and a little water to loosen, if needed.
- Serve in bowls with a spoonful of cream and a scattering of dill or seeds.
V on Wheels is the first vegan delivery in New Zealand. A new menu of homemade, fresh and frozen plant-based meals are created each week and these nutritious, handmade, delicious dishes are delivered to your door every Monday and Thursday.
By Monique Hemmingson, Wild One Wholefoods Eatery
- 1 medium banana
- 2 medjool dates
- 1 handful of spinach
- 1 handful of kale
- 1/4 tsp of organic spirilina powder
- ¾ cup coconut milk (or preferred nut milk)
- ¾ cup frozen mango pieces
- Place everything in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Get creative with the toppings, letting your little ones decorate their own smoothie with fresh or freeze-dried fruit and nuts.
Wild One Wholefoods Eatery offers a delicious, carefully selected kitchen menu with fresh nourishing cabinet food and cakes. No matter what your diet, it’s a fresh and inviting place where you can enjoy what’s good for you and the environment too.