High calories and carbs earned banana its nickname – “natural bread”. Equally fulfilling and equally disastrous for your diet. Bananas are jam packed with nutrients and vitamins and, if you limit yourself to one a day, will be beneficial both for health and weight loss!
Here are some of the benefits of including bananas into your daily meal plan:
1. Lower blood pressure. Thanks to potassium and magnesium! Bananas are officially recognized as being able to protect against heart attacks and strokes.
2. Bone health. Magnesium plays an important part in bone formation and potassium protects against osteoporosis.
3. Improved digestion. Rich in pectin, bananas gently escort toxins from the body. Providing nearly 12% of your daily fibre intake, they normalize bowel motility.
4. Becoming a smarter person. Well, not literally… but vitamin B6 helps to prevent cognitive decline.
5. Improved mood. Due to the high level of tryptophan, which is converted into serotonin, bananas can even fight depression! And, here’s a super bonus -they also help reduce mood-related symptoms of PMS.
6. A great workout snack. Eating a banana before your fitness class won’t weigh you down as they are easily digestible. Pared with peanut butter or some other protein source, they will fuel your glycogen stores so that your blood sugar levels don’t crash after your workout. The magnesium in a banana also helps protect us from muscle cramps!
7. Healthy eyes. Bananas contain a small amount of vitamin A which is invaluable for protecting our vision. Alpha-carotenes and beta-carotenes in Vitamin A, preserve the eye membrane and bring light into the cornea.
This peanut butter thickshake recipe includes 1 frozen banana – all you need for your daily fix!